What is the difference between Hornblower and the Maid of the Mist

Who doesn’t come to Niagara and see the falls? And there are so many ways to do that – observation decks along the riverbank, tours through the caves behind the falls, looking out from atop the falls on Goat Island and a breathtaking Fallsview Room.

One of the most popular ways to get up close and personal to the waterfalls is by experiencing a cruise right up next to the Falls.

Historic Maid of the Mist

The name most commonly associated with that thrill is the Maid of the Mist – a name associated with the ferries shooting up and down the river since 1846. ‘Iconic’ is a word that has lost most of its splendour from overuse, but the Maid of the Mist is synonymous with Niagara River ferries in a way that really does make it iconic.

A lot of people visiting the Canadian side of Niagara Falls ask after the Maid of the Mist, and there can be a bit of confusion on what’s ‘happened’ to the Maid ferries. They still run, of course, but since 2013 the port of call for the Maid of the Mist ferries has been from the United States only.

Enter Hornblower Cruises

This brings us to the new kid on the block—Niagara Hornblower Cruises. Hornblower cruise ships are the currently chartered ferry line for the tours that leave from the Canadian side of the border. Similar service, a different moniker with newer boats, a hipper vibe and an upgrading launching pavilion.

Both cruise ships will take you to the rim of Niagara Falls. So if you’re in Canadian Niagara Falls, ask after the Hornblower – and you’ll get the same great experience arriving at the cusp of the Horseshoe Falls just as every ferry on the river has always provided.

If you’re staying in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, book a trip aboard Hornblower Cruises and stay at the closest hotel to The Brink of Niagara Falls, the Marriott on the Falls. For more information on cruises, hotels, things to do and great rates, visit our homepage: Marriott on the Falls Niagara Falls Hotel.