For fans of theater, a trip to NOTL is always in order during the late spring, summer, and early fall months. For fans of gardens, landscaping, and the beauty of the Earth, a trip to NOTL in June is warranted as well. Here is a closer look at one of the under-heralded but truly remarkable events taking place in Niagara-on-the-Lake this June: The Shaw Guild Garden Tour.
On June 4th, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., you can join other lovers of unique and beautiful homes and gardens on a tour of NOTL’s Old Town and some of its best-kept and little-seen gardens. Experience a formal knot garden whose perfectly manicured boxwoods border an acre of pristinely curated and cared for space. Step into a Japanese garden inside a private courtyard with a reflective pond bordered by wisteria, clematis, and more.
From outdoor patio spaces crafted with living trees, bushes, and plants to waterfalls and a wide variety of impressive trees and unusual shrubs, the tour boasts eight different private gardens that range from small to large. A one-day-only event, you can experience them all as part of the Shaw Festival’s offerings for the season. Tickets are just $25, and the tour will be a much-loved addition to almost any Niagara vacation itinerary.
- The Penman Residence. Featuring both an outdoor kitchen and an outdoor dining area that includes perennials like foxglove, peonies, and valerian, this residence also boasts a small, secluded pond.
- The Todd Residence. This relaxing outdoor space is surrounded by clematis, giant grasses, hydrangeas, yews, and a changing cast of annuals.
- The McCaughy Residence. From the secret dining area to the waterfall and hot tub, this garden offers a wealth of opportunities to rest in seclusion, while surrounding visitors with hostas, heucheras, Japanese reed grasses, and maple trees.
- The Thomas Residence. A formal boxwood hedge grants entrance to this beautiful garden where a wealth of trees, grasses, daylilies, hydrangeas, and other perennials await.
- The Smith Residence. With a pond bordered by coneflower, hostas, and ligularia, this yard also boasts a ginko tree, garden statues, and a lovely lilac display.
- The Misiak Residence. From the arbor covered in wisteria to the herbs, apple trees, and strawberries, this garden is a perfect blend of eye-candy and eating considerations.
- The Laroche Residence. With over 100 elegantly shaped boxwoods, raised beds filled with herbs, 100-year-old willows, a formal knot garden, and more, this property one of the region’s most impressive.
- The Penner Residence. Featuring a Japanese garden along with a stunning courtyard, this space also includes clematis, a reflective pond, peonies, and Japanese Larch trees.
Give yourself the garden tour of a lifetime in quaint and charming Niagara-on-the-Lake. The Shaw Guild Garden Tour offers an enduring look at some of the finest, private outdoor spaces in the whole Niagara region.